Monday, January 7, 2013

Wisdom

I am packing up and getting ready to head back to Colorado. It was a really hard decision to make, but all in all felt like the right thing to do. Mostly, my Dad has verbalized it would bring him the most peace to see me continue on that path.

I also can't get a concept I learned in Africa out of my mind: grieving is a first world privilege. Most other places on earth, when someone gets sick and doesn't get better, you either move on or die along with them.

There is nothing wrong with grief or sadness, I have been so appreciative for the rest I have gotten being back home with my family. But I think that concept kind of stuck in my soul. My gut reaction to this is to keep living, keep moving.

Although I have gotten so much advice from folks with the best intentions about what to do next, ultimately I needed to do what was best for my family and I. So thats it, thats my plan. I have peace.


Although I will miss this goof and his words of wisdom.

I sat down with him and asked him my big important questions for life. Here are his answers. They are the best. Like him.

Raising children: Tell your girls they are beautiful (I weep for fifteen minutes, we move on), let your boys be a little reckless and silly. Love them like crazy and give them boundaries and keep to them. Pick them up and hold them when they are babies. Thats how they learn they are loved and can trust you. They are babies, baby them. Affirm them. They are smart and good-looking and kind and you love them. Tell them that all the time. 

Marriage: Marry somebody who loves Jesus fo real (He said THAT. He texts that sometimes and it is the most hilarious). And who leads you towards him. Oh and for you, specifically Suz, someone who lets you be free. You're like your Mother. 

Life: Just follow Christ. Its the best advice I can give. 

And that is that. Go Dad. 

Along with praying for emotional, financial things for our family, prayers for a place for me to live this coming semester are welcome. I am couch surfing with the kindest of friends till then. 

Cheers,

Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment