Saturday, January 19, 2013

Going Home

This morning at 4:10 Rich breathed his last. It was a peaceful time for both of us. I held him close and kissed his head. Aimee spent the night with me as I felt I might need some support. Well I did.  I got her up at 4:30 to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. No pulse, no chest or tummy rise. Rich had gone on to another place. A wonderful place. A place where there are no tears, no pain, no sorrow. I really would like to visit him there. I want to see him visit the many friends and family members who have gone on before him. Going Home.

We are making simple funeral arrangements. Rich and I had discussed this 30 years ago and figured out that we didn't want to be 'displayed' or have a three day party centered around a body. Rich's family members will be here for the church service. Hopefully we can have the VA burial the same day as the church service. Things don't always go so fast in Hawaii.

Last night we had pupu's as usual and many friends came and spent precious time with Rich. He had no words but could look around from face to face and move his arms. He held my hand and squeezed my knee. We have been good to each other. I am so happy to have been able to spend time with him these 33 + years. Our children are blessed to have such a gracious father and me to have such a loving head of our family, tender husband. 

I will blog probably once more to share the funeral. Rich was very popular on this island. He is easy to read and people loved him.

5 comments:

  1. My heart is with you and the family Margie, praying for you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Margie for your loss, hell for all of our loss - I have been following here and with Stacie - but have just been at a loss for words for you - I am so glad I got to be with all of you at Megan's wedding and to experience your joy as a family - I am glad that you have more than the flesh to hang on to - all my love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. He was a wonder man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Margie, I am sorry for your lost. I am sorry I did not know of my friend Rick's illness but am glad to have spent those years working side by side with Rick at the Red Cross then Rick moved up to work up at State Civil Defense in Diamond Head Crater and we did not see each other at all except for one or two or even three meetings that I attended at State CD. A memory that has lived with me for years is being invited to the Stercho family home; the family moved in to this home and I don't think it had been a year; but Rick new my love for Ruben sandwiches which I was hooked on during my disaster assignment in Cincinnati OH and a sandwich shop called "IZZY's"... It was here on my second day on the Ohio Flood disaster that I walked into this sandwich shop and ordered a Ruben sandwich that came with potato pancakes! Never had such a sandwich before and for the next 30 days I'd stop here daily for my usual Ruben sandwich with potato pancakes. Well I mentioned my love for Ruben's and Rick said you know what I make one heck of a Ruben sandwich myself. Well weeks later my friend invites my wife and I to come over to his home for dinner and we meet the entire family but then Rick sits me down near the kitchen and starts to put these Ruben sandwiches together so we could enjoy them for dinner. It was a once in a life time treat!!! Yes a very fond memory that I go back too often. I still love Ruben sandwiches and have not been back to IZZY's in Cincinnati's but I've been blessed with the sandwiches I enjoyed for dinner at Rick and Margies home... I will miss you my friend, I will keep you in my heart and you will remain close.

    ReplyDelete